Sunday, January 15, 2017

Good Grief!

Handsome fellow!
Good grief!

Yes, more grief-talk.

Yesterday, I went to a funeral. It was a farewell and celebration of my grandfather's life. He was a man of great character.. and he was a character!

He was a farmer, a scouter, a husband and father. As the oldest grandchild, my birth made him a grandfather, and eventually others made him a great-grandfather.

A lot of people have said, "I'm sorry for your loss." And I don't really know how to respond. I get that they feel badly for me, that I've lost my last grandparent. But.. I don't know. I don't feel the loss. Maybe I've been grieving for years already, so I've processed a lot of the "loss" people are sorry for.

See, Grandpa has has been "gone" for so much longer than the last week and a half since his death. He's been gone since way before we placed him in the nursing home at the beginning of last month. He's been gone for so long, there's not much left to mourn.

I know there are those who feel differently, but this is where I am.