Sunday, August 18, 2013

All of US Serving You..?


Wow- the economy is rough. People aren't spending. Employers aren't hiring... and we all know it!

And my bank is screwing the destitute.

I guess I should say former bank- I closed my account this week because of a policy change they made at the beginning of this month.

From an email explaining why I had a $6.95 maintenance fee:
Effective August 12, 2013, you can waive the Silver Checking monthly maintenance fee of $6.95 with online statements and $8.95 with paper statements by maintaining a Package Money Market Savings account AND one of the following: Combined monthly direct deposits totaling $1,000+ OR Combined account balance of $1,500.  The combined balance is the total average account balance* of the Silver Checking account and all Package Money Market Savings accounts you own.  Also note: A Package Money Market Savings account and/or a U.S. Bank Visa Credit Card is no longer necessary to maintain a Silver Checking account. 
How do you like them apples? Unless I have $1500 just lying around.. or make enough to have a cool grand in direct deposit each month, I'm screwed out of $6.95. The way I cook, that's a full day's worth of meals. Don't worry, I don't need to eat.

Sure, if you're a student (Start school that I can't afford just so I can keep my checking account?), or if you want one of their credit products (thanks exhusband, guess I don't need a decent credit score.), or in the military (did I mention not employed?), or own your own business (I said unemployed, not self employed), they have options, but otherwise, nope.

Coulda fooled me.