Sunday, April 29, 2012

Kids- gotta love them!

I've always wanted to be a mother. At 36, I can very confidently say that desire is over 30 years old. As a lover and observer of children- their wonder at the world, their fascinating logic, their innocent assumptions, their utter confidence in themselves- I want to share some of my experiences with children, my (0 experience as a parent, although lots of experience with others' children) thoughts on children and child rearing.


I was at the thrift store a while back. A little boy (he was probably 3 or 4) had found a trophy and was showing his dad. They each took "pictures" of each other with it! Then the little man wanted to show his dad how fast he could run.. (maybe to win and earn the trophy?)... up and down the aisle where I was looking at pants, LOL! I totally didn't mind (How could I possibly be irritated by a little boy being a little boy? He even said, "Excuse me..." before he started!), but his mother scolded him for disturbing me :(


Little kids are wired to have such complete confidence in themselves. Sadly we lose that as we grow up and it's squished and stomped on by the grownups in our lives. Don't tromp on that! Let them explore their boundaries, please??


Recently, a friend took his trumpet to the park to play. His words:
"Allison" - a 3 year old girl - came up and told me she wanted to try and then took the trumpet from me (while still in my hands) about and proceeded to try to "play" while squealing through it and pressing the keys. It was adorable. Her father apologized for the slobber but - what's a bit of slobber among trumpet players, right? It was endearing though. She came back like 5 times to "play."

In working with the new Scouts in my ward, yesterday we were talking about drugs and the dangers, how to handle situations where drugs are offered.. that kind of thing. One of the boys said, "I have a question about weed... now, is that like just weeds from your yard?" Oh, it was so funny- I'm so glad he's still that innocent!


In the fall, with the words "Back to School" on the lips of every marketer, it always gives me food for thought. It seems that so many of my mom-friends on FB are thrilled to have the kids back in school. They will have the kids out of their hair- they'll have time to themselves, able to get things done. What are they thinking??!?
Psalms 127:3-5 "Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them..."
Oh, to be in the shoes of these mother! Yes, I'm fully aware that I'm jealous.. and yes, I probably don't quite know what it's like. But as a mother, especially a stay at home mother, you have such an opportunity to know and teach and guide your kids.


Cherish it. There are those of us who would trade places with you in a heartbeat.